Monday, June 13, 2011

Alcoholics are like Cars - I need a Tune-Up

When I got sober. I went to meeting daily, worked the 12-steps with women in a step-study. Then I was fixed. Running smooth. Or so I thought.
Now I realize alcoholics are like cars; We need to keep the engine tuned-up or else it breaks down. Sometime we crash because of poor maintenance. A tire might fall off or the brakes could fail.
Usually when this happens we are already heading downhill, so stopping is impossible.
Sometimes the wrecks are fatal.
There are almost always injuries.
Sometimes we hit other people when we crash.
Sometimes, they, or we, never recover from the accident.
We say, "It was an accident. I never meant for it to happen."
Still, we are at fault. We caused it.
We heard the knocks, saw the bald tires, smelled the smoke, but continued to drive anyway.
I'm knocking, smoking and shaking.
I'm pulling over.
Better yet, I'm taking her back into that shop called AA for a complete tune-up, new tires, brakes... the works.
My tools are a little rusty as well... I need some new ones in case I break down in the middle of nowhere.
In my dry-ness, I have been looking for a mechanic, a good strong man, who can make my engine purr.
All it did was sputter even worse.
Alcoholics are a unique model, and we need to be serviced by the manufacturer... a Higher Power.
My new sponsor has worked in the service department for some time, trained by the best, following the instructions of our Designer.
I can't wait to get back on the road... to recovery.

4 comments:

steveroni said...

Just read your post on Mary C. All I will say is "God be with you."
PEACE!

Mary Christine said...

Hi Lola, If you want readers, I would suggest you visit other blogs and comment frequently. Also, if you follow some blogs, they will usually return the favor. When I started blogging almost 6 years ago, I spent at least 2 hours a day on my blog and visiting other blogs. That is how I developed a readership.

I am glad you are getting back on the road. Alcoholism is truly cunning, baffling, and powerful.
Mary

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

Ah, found it. Sorry, tried to post and follow yesterday but was having technical difficulties.

:) WELCOME to the blogosphere!

Roxie said...

I can relate to a great deal of what you wrote. Any kind of recovery is like that, isn't it? It's rarely ever finished.